Trisomy 13 - Dignity and Grace in Life and Death

On September 14, 2001 Andrew and I found out we were expecting our 3rd baby. We had done this twice before and I was not that concerned or anxious to get to the Dr. right away. We were very excited even though we had not actually "tried" to conceive. We had also decided we would keep it a secret as long as possible! :) Love to keep a good secret! On October 31st we had our first ultrasound and discovered that our baby had markers for a chromosomal disorder as well as tachycardia. Devastated at hearing this we shed lots of tears and I experienced a lot of worry, anger, and fear at what lied ahead of us. I prayed many times that if the Lord was going to give us a baby that would not live that He would just go ahead and take it from us right then. On November 23rd, I began spotting and cramping but since it was Thanksgiving weekend we waited til the following Monday to go to the Dr. where we found out that there was no heart beat and our baby was resting safely in the arms of Jesus. We were very saddened but also very thankful to God that he spared us any further pain and sorrow. It was not until Christmas Eve Decemeber 24th, 2001 that we found out that our baby was a boy :) and that he had Trisomy 13. I wanted to share this video that I came across on another blog. If you choose to watch the video, have your tissue box handy and be prepared to cry. We look forward to meeting our little boy in heaven one day and have peace knowing that he is in a better place in a "perfect" body.
Our Baby (October 31,2001)


This is a photo of me at 6 weeks pregnant and our pregnancy test.


I was so moved and touched by this wonderful couple and their capacity for unconditional love. It was also a gift of love that they celebrated the life of their baby - no matter how brief and no matter how tinged with sadness - and that they chose to share their story with others who could benefit from their example.

This is something you might want to share with your older children. In a world where we are taught that we are entitled to have perfect, unblemished lives, we need to know how to walk through these things ourselves with dignity and grace. ~Barbara Curtis


Comments

Never loose hope... you child just might surprise you.
Mom to our sweet Natalia who is now 9 yrs old, living with trisomy 13.
You can meet many families with children still living and also those like Thomas' family who carried to term to meet their beautiful children. Over 250 family stories and amazing children so very loved.
Living with Trisomy 13
http://www.livingwithtrisomy13.org

ThereseAnn, mom to Natalia
Gpark said…
My name is Glenda, and I have a 23-year-old daughter, Rebecca, who has a translocation trisomy. The extra chromosome in her cells consists of part of the long arm of a partial, extra 13th chromosome and part of the long arm of a partial, extra 15th chromosome. Though there were surgeries and other health concerns in the early years, Rebecca brought, and continues to bring, our family much joy! Currently, she reads (on about a fifth-grade level), writes, and calculates. Rebecca absolutely loves church, attends a social and continuing education group for higher-functioning adults with special needs, and plays on special needs bowling and baseball teams.

People need to know that there are long-term survivors of trisomy 13 in all of its forms (Full, Partial Translocation, Mosaic, and Ring). The website mentioned by ThereseAnn is filled with the stories of long-term survivors and also has a Treasured Memories album honoring those children and adults who had Trisomy 13 and have already gone to be with the LORD. There is a Prenatal Album, as well, for those families expecting a child diagnosed with Trisomy 13. The messageboards on the site provide wonderful support for the families.

If the first thing encountered by families of unborn, or newborn, babies with Trisomy 13 were not pressure to abort, or pressure to withhold treatment, even in cases in which ultrasound or post-birth observation and testing indicate a strong child without the severest anomalies, we would, no doubt, have more survivors and thrivers!
Andrew Alpaugh said…
Hi, I apologize if I came across like none of these babies live or that I think it would have caused pain and suffering to have one of these precious children. I was just saying that it is rare for them to survive after birth and I would not have wanted to go through my baby dying in my arms if that would have happened. Obviously God chose to spare us that grief and took our baby in His timing. I would never have not carried my baby to term just because the statistics for a healthy baby were not there and we were told that they don't normally live. We left in in God's hands. Thank you for sharing your stories here and God bless you and your blessings God gave you. ~Wendy~
Gpark said…
Wendy,

My sincerest apologies for sounding, unintentionally, a little too strident with the last part of my comment. I appreciate your sharing the video and the heart for your family and the LORD which are so apparent on your blog! Interestingly, though, I contacted the writer (a woman named Lee at the Dallas Morning News) responsible for the "Choosing Thomas" story. I asked that she consider doing a follow-up story showing that, not only could a choice be made to carry to term, but that some of the children live much longer, particularly when highly treatable conditions were operated on, medicated, etc. She did not seem very open to the idea. I know that God's plan for some of these precious babies is to go straight from Mom and Dad's arms (or even from Mom's womb) to their Heavenly home, but I ache for those who are denied life-saving treatment based solely upon the T-13 diagnosis.
Andrew Alpaugh said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Alpaugh said…
I couldn't agree with you more! It saddens me deeply that many babies aren't given a chance due to the technology of ultra/sound and testing done before birth. Only God knows. Psalm 139:13-16- "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." I hope you are able to get a follow up story eventually so that more people can be aware that there is hope for those parents that are given none by doctors who don't care.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving at Dollywood